Temples / Churches / Masjids
Bhagavathi Amman Temple- Kanniyakuamri
Kanniyakumari derives its name from from Goddess Kanniyakumari Amman, the presiding deity of the area. The most prominent temple, the Kumari Amman, is dedicated to the goddess Parvathi as a virgin. The temple situated at the edge of the ocean for Goddess Kanniyakumari has the legendary account that once Banusura, the demon king got supremacy over Devas and meted out cruel punishment to them. The Devas performed a Yagna pleading to annihilate the evils. Goddess Parasakthi came to Kumari in the form of a virgin girl and began her penance. Meanwhile Lord Shiva fell in love with her and arrangements for the marriage were made in the midnight a particular day. Now the Devine sage Narada realised that their marriage would destroy the chances of annihilating Banusura because he could be killed only by a virgin. When Lord Shiva was on his way to Kanniyakumari from Suchindrum at Valukkamparai 5 kms south of Suchindram, Sage Narada assumed the form of a cock and crowed falsely heralding the break of dawn. Thinking that the auspicious time for the marriage was past, Lord Shiva returned disappointed. The Goddess too decided to remain virgin after that. Then, when Banusura attempted to win the Goddess by force, she killed him with her Chakragudha, and relieved the suffering s of Devas. Then she resumed her penance and remained virgin. The contact telephone number of Devesthanam office, Bagavathiamman Temple is 04652-246223. Timings from 4.30 AM to 12.15 PM & 4.PM to 8.15 PM. Annual Festivals are Car festival (May / June) and Navaratri (Nine Days) Festival (September / October).
Guganathaswamy Temple is a 1000 year old temple and is said to have been built by the King Raja Raja Chola. The architectural style of the Cholas is quiet apparent in this temple. It is located near Railway Station. There are 16 inscriptions found in this temple that date back to the years 1038 A.D., 1044 A.D., 1045 .A.D. Visiting hours are from 06.00 to 11.15 A.M and 05.00 P.M to 08.45 P.M
Athikesava Perumal Temple- Thiruvattar
Thiruvattar is located about 60 kilometers away from kanniyakumari and boasts of a temple with fine architecture. The temple walls also feature paintings, which worth look.Thiruvattar,Sri Adikesava Perumal Temple, 108 Vaishnava temples is one of 13 mountain country in Tirupati Secondary Tirupati and vilankukiratutiruvanantapuram Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple, Thiruvattar AdiKesavaPerumal temple appearance, structure orematiyanavaitiruvattar Sri atikecavap temple local myth ittiruttalattai “beginning anantapuram was” the Thiruvattar spot time Thiruvananthapuram Sree Padmanabha was overtaken after seeing terikiratutiruvattar atikecavap perumalait believed that cuvamiyaik want to go see.Appearing in the ninth century, modify Nammazlvar ippunniyat “vattaru rich as” the highest court of the temple mankalacanam ceytullarkalsri AdiKesavaPerumal amaintullataip Nammazlvar praised “the mountain top matattaravanai vattarran” he sang.
Due to an error in the conduct of a yajna by Lord Brahmma, two demons appeared from the fire – Kesan and Kesi. They caused all troubles to Sages and Devas. They came to Lord Vishnu for protection. Lord killed Kesan and used Kesi as a pillow for his bed. The demon’s wife, to avenge the Lord, called Rivers Ganga and Tambiraparani to help her.
They came in spate to wash off the Lord. Mother Earth simply raised the ground level where Perumal was reclining. Both Rivers went round the Lord, prayed to Him and continued to flow round as two garlands. This event is mentioned in Nammalvar’s Mangalasasanam hymn.
As Perumal destroyed demon Kesan, He is named Kesava Perumal. Kesi tried his best to escape from the Lord with his 12 hands. Lord put 12 Rudrakshas in his hand and foiled his escape bid. 12 Shiva temples came into being through these Rudrakshas around Tiruvattaru. During Shivrathri, devotees run to cover all the 12 Siva temples and end the prayer with Lord Shiva at the feet of Adikesava Perumal. The practice continues even today.
Mandaikadu Bhagavathi Amman Temple
Sri Bhagavathi Amman Temple is an important temple situated near to Nagercoil – colachel State highway in Mandaikadu .This Temple was built in kerala tradition in very simple style. Holy trees for this temple are Bo Tree and Neem . Pujas is performed four times daily. Mandaikadu Bhagavathi Amman Temple is known as a Sabarimala for Women. The 15 feet tall anthill is the Bhagavathi amman. Women visit the temple with the Irumudi (a bundle containing puja items for the Goddess) as men go to Sabarimala.
His Holiness Sri Sankaracharya was performing Srichakra Puja with his Kerala disciples here. One day the Chakra did not turn back after the puja was over as usual. The Acharya stayed here itself and attained Samadhi. It is on this spot where the Srichakra existed, the anthill began to grow. Children playing this side and hitting the anthill were injured. Marthanda Varma, the king of Kerala came to know of these developments and built a temple and performed pujas regularly. Gradually, the temple assumed significance among the devotees. Today is a famous temple blessing the devotees.
Thanumalaiyan Temple – Sucindram
Suchindrum is a small village about 12 km. from Kanniyakumari and about seven kilometres from Nagercoil. This holy place is located on the bank of the river Pazhayar, adjoining fertile fields and coconut groves and the temple is dedicated to Sri Sthanumalayan. The word denotes Siva, Vishnu and Brahma as. Sthanu represents Siva, Mal represents Vishnu while Ayan represents Brahma i.e. Siva, Vishnu and Brahma in “One Form”.
Suchindrum means the place where Indra attained ‘Suchi’ i.e., purification. The Sthalapurana has it that Indra suffered a curse from sage Gowthama, when he stealthily cast amorous glances at Ahalya the wife of Gowthama. Not able to suffer the mortification brought about by the curse. Indra had to seek immediate redemption. He came to ‘Gnana Aranya’ as this place was then called and offered worship to Lord Shiva. Relieving Indra of his curse, Lord Shiva granted him of his wish that the place where he attained purification should henceforth be called ‘Suchindrum’.
Another story goes to say that the Trimurthys i.e. Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, cajoled by their divine consorts came down to the earth to test the chastity of Anusuya, wife of sage Athri at Gnana Aranya. The Gods for this misadventure had to suffer a surse form the Rishipatni and to undergo the purification process, before they could be restored to their former glory.
It is said that Thanumalaya Swamy temple is the only shrine dedicated to the Trinity in India. The present structure of the temple is the work of a number of persons spread over a number of centuries. It is a complex of many beautiful structures constructed at various times and is one of the best specimens and a store house of the Dravidian style of art and architecture.
Visiting Hours : From 04.00 AM to 11.45 AM and 05.00 P.M to 08.00 PM
Nagaraja Temple – Nagercoil
Arulmigu Nagaraja Thirukkoil is one of the temples of associated and unassociated temples of Suseendram. Nagercoil is located 19 milestone away from Kanyakumari. It is said that the place “Nagercoil” is named because of Nagaraja(five headed) Temple. The greenish area, the arduous coconut tree and flowered gardens surrounded by this temple attracts everyone’s heart.It is believed that the Naga Flower in this garden is worshiped as the symbol of Nagaraja image. It is also believed that the snakes around this place is protecting the Temple and the garden. This is a proven one in World’s Religious encyclopedia that even though lots of snakes are found, no one is died because of snake-biting and this is the specialty of this temple.
Ayya Vaikundar Temple- Swamithope
Swamithoppu is a small village about 11 km. from Kanyakumari. Swamithoppu, formely known as Poovandanthoppu, is situated in Thamarakkulam village of Nanchi naadu in Kanyakumari District.This is the birth place of Ayya Vaikundar. After the enlightenment at Thiruchenthur in March 3, 1833, at the age of 24, Ayya Vaikundar returned to this place where he started his social reformation. This can be considered as the first pathi. The successors of Ayya Vaikundar conduct the daily Pani Vidai and they administrate the activities.
Our lady Ransom Church – Kanniyakumari
The Kanyakumari Parish almost coincides with the civil village of Kanyakumari. Archeological evidences suggest that St. Thomas, a disciple of Jesus Christ visited this soil. In 1542 St. Francis Xavier came here. In 1862, Kanyakumari became a separate parish. In 1914 the church was constructed. The length of the Church is 153 feet, breath 53 feet and height is 153 feet. All these depict the breads of the Holy Rosary. The parish has nearly 13,000 people organized into 86 Basic Christian Communities.
St. Xavier Church – Kottar
St.Xavier an outstanding and dedicated priest visited the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu from Goa, he never missed the opportunity of visiting Kottar in Kanniyakumari district which was a celebrated commercial centre at that time. During his stay at Kottar, he used to worship St. Mary in the small temple. He was popularly known as “Valiya Pandaram” among the people of Kottar. While he was at Kottar, he averted the invasion of Padagas on the people of Venad which was appreciated by the king, who became closer to the Priest. In recognition of Xavier’s services, the king allotted a land to him for the purpose of constructing a catholic church at Kottar. There was already a church in 1544 in the same place, where the St. Xavier’s church stands now.
The church records show that the church was built in the year 1600 A.D. In the year 1865, the Church was enlarged and the shrine of our lady was also renovated and vaulted over. In 1930, the church was raised to the status of a Cathedral.
In 1942, in commemoration of the fourth centenary of the arrival of St.Xavier in India, a beautiful tower to the saint, a grotto to Out Blessed Mother and a small shrine to St.Ignatius who sent him to India were constructed in the Cathedral premises. In 1955, the church was further extended and the chapel of Our Lady was incorporated into the enlarged church.
The Church of St. Xavier enjoys a great fame as a place of miracles from early times. The annual festival is celebrated during the month of November December lasting for 10 days.
Peer Mohammed Durha, Thuckalay
There is a durha named ‘Peer Mohamed Oliyullah Durha’ at Thuckalay named after the great philosopher Mohamed Appa, who was born in Tenkasi of Tirunelveli District. After spending sometime in spiritual pursuits in Peermedu of Kerala State he came and stayed at Thuckalay. Being a Tamil poet of great eminence, he wrote many books on philosophy. He had intimate relationship with the Kings of Chera dynasty. It is said that he laid foundation stone for the Padmanabhapuram Granite Fort.
The Anniversary of the great philosopher poet is celebrated every year on a grand scale on the full moon day in the month of Rajap. Both the people of Kerala and Tamil Nadu attend the celebrations on large numbers irrespective of their caste, creed and religion.